Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Instrument

My musical instrument is a simple 3 note button presser. It's body has a white foam core base with a white box housing and three colored buttons. Each button corresponds to a different note. It's pretty close to on key, so simple songs like "Mary Had a Little Lamb" sound pretty good.

I think my design could definitely be improved. Two things in particular stand out:

1. I would like to design buttons external to the breadboard. I like the colorful buttons, but I think the play-ability of the instrument would be improved if the buttons were more incorporated into the housing

2. I would like to improve on the housing in general. At this point the base and the body are two separate parts, however if I could find/build the perfect box to house it all then my instrument could become portable. On that note I would like to wire up a battery power source so I don't have to deal with the computer cord.

3. Maybe I could throw in a few more buttons/notes

Here is the circuit I built with the three buttons and the speaker.



With its housing on my completed instrument kind of looks like a little piano!



Here's my code





Following Crawford's model of interaction:

Human:

Listen - Observes buttons
Think - Decides to play a song
Speak - Presses buttons

Input - Hears tone
Processing - Decides to stop playing song
Output - Stops pressing button

Result - Tone stops


Computer:

Input - Button press
Processing - Completed circuit!
     Determines which button is pressed
     Sets the Val of the button to HIGH
     If button 1, 2, or 3 the notes 260, 290, or 320 respectively get sent to the speaker
Output - Speaker tone

Listen - No button pressed
Think - Open circuit
Output - Not tone




And the grand finale!


No comments:

Post a Comment