Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Final III


Implementation


Housing:

I wanted to laser cut my housing so I built an Illustrator file that had appropriate tongue and groove walls for easy assembly

I also include raster etching for the lettering and detail work of the different coins


After I managed to get the laser cuts done I simply had to glue all the sides together expect the top (which I wanted to put on hinges so that you could access the coins/circuit inside.

I ended up going for the non linear slot position so that vessels could be placed under each slot catching the different denominations of coins separately.

The etching turned out great!


Sound = Glass!

I tried various materials for the interaction design component of dropping in the coins, especially with sound.
It turns out glass mason jars make a beautiful *cha ching sound so I have three small mason jars corresponding to the different slots


The Circuit:

Wiring the circuit turned out to be quite complicated, basically it went:
  • LCD has 6 pin connections one of which is a potentiometer to control brightness of the backlight
    • it also has 2 power pins and three ground pins
    • I ended up soldering it all together so that it could fit in the limited number of available powers/grounds/pins on the Arduino
  • Each Photo interrupter needed:
    • A power and ground on one side
    • A power and analog pin on the other side with a pull-down resistor to ground.
      • Depending on how much resistance you put across the emitter the reading varies
  • I also needed a reset button which was a basic button circuit to a digital pin
  • Finally I spliced a switch into my battery power supply to power the whole thing



I explain the Code in the next post!


No comments:

Post a Comment